Friday, August 20, 2010

The pie project

Paragliding in the Swiss Alps
Talk to my parents and they'll tell you.  Megan was never domesticated.  As a child my father discouraged me from doing any activities that were stereotypical of the female sphere.  I was fashioned into a perfect tom-boy.  A gymnast first, then a kick-boxer and I even had a short, boy hair-cut to boot.  My dad taught me that there was nothing I couldn't do.  And I believed him. From black belts to full scholarships to college, I knew I could beat the boys just like I did in elementary school when I whooped all of them at arm-wrestling.  In the first 25 years of my life I did so many things.  I paraglided in the Alps, cave-tubed in the jungles of Belize, read poetry at Emily Dickinson's grave, stood inside the Coliseum, climbed to the top of the Eiffel Tower, drank wine in a German castle, went zip-lining in Kauai, kayaked in the Grand Cayman, earned a bachelors, masters, and credential. I bought my own home, survived being a target of a gang initiation, and even managed to fall down an entire flight of concrete stairs without breaking a single bone. But there was one thing I hadn't done.  I had never learned how to cook.

And then it happened.  I met someone.  Not just someone but the man I am now in love with.  And guess what?  He loves pie. 

My first pie--raspberry deliciousness!
In the first few months of our relationship I baked him cookies--mostly peanut butter and chocolate chip.  I knew how to do that at least.  But pies?  Well, I had made a pumpkin pie and an apple pie a few times before (and usually with the help of my sister who is far more domesticated than I am).  Five months into our relationship I was on summer break (I'm an English teacher), and I decided I would finally learn how to make a pie.  So for my boyfriend's 30th birthday I baked him a raspberry pie.  I now know what was missing in my life for 26 years.

3 comments:

  1. Your post made me immediately think of "Julie and Julia." How fun, Megan. Have a great time with this. I'm looking forward to reading about good times and good food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... you are a smart girl for your young years!! My mother always said the way to a man's heart is through his stomach - and I say the way to ANYONE's heart is the same way. There's nothing like a slice of delicious smelling pie (and your's looked beautiful too)to make us all feel better.

    And what is it about pie and men? Nearly every man I know loves a big slice of pie over other desserts. Next time you go to a potluck or church supper (do they have those anymore?)pay attention to which desserts disappear the quickest - it will definitely be the homemade pie.

    I think, my dear, you have discovered what many of us older folks already knew - pie is the ultimate comfort food. And I agree with you about the homemade crust - it's worth the effort.

    And thank you too for spoiling my son with one of his favorite treats - pie! Can't wait to see your next post....

    Ben's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alicia and Laurie! Please share the blog with anyone who you might think is interested in pie, hiking, or both! :)

    ReplyDelete