Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hiking according to Megan

Notice the beautiful gold field...this leads up to the woodland trail
Hiking for me is about finding and exploring new, beautiful sights--sights that are untouched by man's desire to concretize everything he sees.  Sights that are just the way (or close to the way) God created them.  So when I say I love hiking I do mean that I enjoy scaling mountains, but it's much more than that.  I love being outdoors in nature whether I'm actually climbing something, fishing a stream, or relaxing by a creek bed.  I love being outside.

My "hiking" posts, therefore, are dedicated to providing you with some great outdoor ideas.  Places to go, things to do, and sites to see.  My local adventures are in Southern California, but I will also suggest some of my favorite "far away" places, for those Californians who actually like to get out of our smog ridden state (well, at least Southern California, that is). 

The first spot I'd like to share with you is a place called Cambria.  Cambria is a small coastal town along the Central coast of California.  From the San Fernando Valley and LA area it should take you about 4 hours by car (which is the only way you'll get there since there is not local airport in Cambria).  I've been visiting to this beach town since I was 3 years old, and have enjoyed yearly visits ever since.  

In my last trip in May of this year, I discovered a beautiful little hiking spot which starts along the coast and ebbs backward into a forest.  If you are staying on Moonstone Beach, simply drive towards the town, but instead of making a left into town keep going straight until you reach the local neighborhoods.  You can park in the neighborhood and walk out towards the shore from there.  Between the ocean and the woods is a beautiful golden field.  I'd recommend taking the path, however, since the little "sticky" things will get stuck in your socks and scratch your legs if you try walking through the brush (I say this from experience!).  Once in the forest you can hike for quite a ways but it's fairly easy to get back--just go towards the ocean! 

In addition to this lovely little spot, the beaches in Cambria are unlike most in Southern California.  Instead of sandy they are rocky.  You can climb along the rocks and see the tide pools.  It's almost always cool year-round, so it's more of a walking/sight-seeing beach than a beach where you lie down or go swimming.  The little town of Cambria also has a lot to offer.  Although the town consists of just two small sections (West Cambria and East Cambria) there is a lot to see!  If you enjoy antiquing, there are at least 3 antique stores you can visit--the biggest and best one is at the very end of East Cambria next to the pizza shop. 

View from the boardwalk
Cambria also has a variety of dining opportunities.  The Grill is the most casual restaurant. They serve burgers, hot dogs, salads, ice cream, veggie burgers, and just about any side you can think of.  Their clam chowder is also excellent.  My favorite "nice" restaurant has to be The Sow's Ear.  I went here for my birthday dinner with my boyfriend this year and we had the most delicious meal I've ever tasted.  Brie cheese soaked in honey for our appetizer, braised beef with veggies and mashed potatoes for our main course, a delcious bread bowl in a flower pot, and the best Cabernet Savignon I've ever tasted!  The service was excellent and we left with a serious food coma! 

If you are looking for night-life there isn't much at Cambria.  It's about as far away from a Vegas-like experience as you'll get.  There's one bar in East Cambria that stays open late and sometimes has live bands but the ambiance and the music definately suits an "older" crowd.  My boyfriend and I are a bit quirky, however, so we kind of enjoyed the band that was playing, but it was a bit dull since there were hardly any young people there. 

All-in-all Cambria is one of the best kept secrets in California.  You can enjoy beautiful views, gorgeous hikes (or walks), and the quaint shops and restaurants you'll find in town.  If you have any questions, let me know.  I've been visiting Cambria for 23 years, so I can probably answer almost all your questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment